The chapel is located on a small knoll to the south-west of the village with great views of the western side of Cape Aspro massif and blue sea beyond. The church was built in 1990 at a site where there was a large bush of terebinths where the faithful used to go to pray. They also used to hang the clothes of sick children on the bush branches so that the children could be healed by the Saint. Some uphold the tradition of faith, and clothing still adorns the remaining terebinth on the west side of the church.

church1fAgios Mavrikios

Agios Mavrikios is a small active church on a hillside at the head of the valley separating Pissouri Village and Pissouri Bay (known as the Plain of Linidon), with views onto the surrounding hills and also down the valley to the Bay. The church is always accessible, and an interesting visit.

Agios Mavrikios is also called the healer of skantharos (blisters). Taking soil from inside the church and making mud supposedly creates an ointment which can then be applied to the skantharos, and in just a few hours the patient will be cured.

The saint’s festival takes place every year on 12th September. The old church of Agios Mavrikios was recently restored and is an attraction for tourists and many worshipers alike.

Every Easter Thursday there is a liturgy and a great feast is made in honor of the saint.

Article and some photos by David Meaden-Kendrick.

AgiosSpiridonas-250x250Agios Spiridonas

Agios Spiridonas is a small chapel beautifully constructed into the side of a huge rock face on the eastern side of Pissouri Bay near the Ampelochori community. A largely inactive chapel, it has a unique natural rock ceiling and rear wall, with a small courtyard and bell tower.

Known for his piety, Agios Spiridonas was a the Bishop of Trimythous in early Cyprus (325 a.d.), and was best known for his conversion of a pagan philosopher to Christianity using a clay potsherd to explain the Holy Trinity. As a result, he is considered the patron saint of potters.

Article and photos by David Meaden-Kendrick.

andreas1-250x250Apostolos Andreas

Apostolos Andreas stands in the centre of the village, with commanding views of the village and east over the valley towards Limassol.

The gothic building is built of stone quarried from the Anogyra and Prasteio area, and transported by donkeys to Pissouri. Construction began around 1835 on the site of the old church and cemetery, and was completed in 1883. Local artisans began working on the wooden divider that serves as an icon stand in 1880, and it and the other various wood carving were completed in 1890. The wood carvings are renowned, and are truly a sight to behold. The property was used as a cemetery until 1912, and was then covered over and serves as the courtyard for the church.

It is beautiful church with a unique history.

Regular services are held on Saturday evenings, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays, as well as special days such as name-days.

Article and some photos by David Meaden-Kendrick.


Panayia Akonopetra Church

The church in honor of Holy Mary is built on the hill “Akonopetra”, to the west of the Pissouri Community Amphitheatre on a site belonging to the Church of Saint Andrew. A small and well maintained church, it has commanding views of the village and the plains to the east.

Celebration and liturgy is held every November 21st.

There is limited access to the church.

Article and photos by David Meaden-Kendrick

elias1-250x250Prophet Elias Chapel

The chapel of Prophet Elias is located in the Saint Elias piney hillside west of Pissouri and within 2 km of it. It up behind the village and is a great 20 minute walk along the ridgeline with splendid views down into the valley. It can be reached by car on a road that runs past the school and water tank. The chapel was bbuilt in 1960, and carved into rock on the side of the hill that overlooks the Old Limassol/Paphos road and the lower village area. Set amongst old pines, it is a very peaceful and spiritual place.

The chapel of Prophet Elias is known for its very ancient rock paintings in its interior, although there is limited access to the interior.
Celebrations on Easter Monday and on 20th July.

Article and photos by David Meaden-Kendrick.

agios-g1-250x250Saint George

Built in 1958, the small church of St. George is located in Kamaroudi area on the road to the village Alektora, and within 3 km from Pissouri. Perched on the side of the hill on the right side of the road travelling from Pissouri, it is easy to miss. The church is well maintained and has open access to a magnificent interior that is well adorned with icons depicting St. George. A pleasant and peaceful spot to visit.

The church celebrates on Easter Wednesday.

Article and photos by David Meaden-Kendric

congregation-250x250Saint Lazarus Church

A warm welcome awaits you at the Anglican St Lazarus’ Church in Pissouri. The congregation meets for worship under the Pissouri Community Amphitheatre in the village, and our surroundings evoke the atmosphere of the early church, being simple and uncomplicated.

Working under St. Barnabas Anglican Church in Limassol, the church holds bi-monthly communion services held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month at 6:00pm under the guidance of Canon Derek Smith.

Article by David Meaden-Kendrick.