Kolossi castle is a fine example of military architecture. It was originally built in the 13th century and rebuilt in its present form in the 15th century.
After the fall of Acre in 1291 it served as the Grand Commandery of the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem and in the 14th century came under the domain of the Knights Templar. During their stay in Cyprus, the Knights produced and exported a sweet wine, which became known as the “vin de Commanderie”. Today Commandaria wine is one of Cyprus’ traditional wines and one of the oldest named wines[More...]
The ‘Tombs of the Kings’ is the impressive necropolis that is located just outside the walls, to the north and east of Pafos town. It was built during the Hellenistic period (3rd century B.C.) to satisfy the needs of the newly founded Nea Paphos. Its name is not connected with the burial of kings, as the royal institution was abolished in 312 B.C., but rather with the impressive character of its burial monuments. The ‘Tombs of the Kings’ was the place where the higher administrative officers and distinguished Ptolemaic personalities as well as the members of their families were buried.[More...]
The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl, and stands in front of the iconostasis. The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons, consecrated vessels, manuscripts and Cypriot antiquities. The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III served as a novice here. At his wish, he was buried at Throni, a scenic location 3km[More...]