The Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus, housed on the ground floor of the old Archbishopric, consists of a large collection of 19th and early 20th century Cypriot folk art. It includes wood-carved objects, tapestry, embroidery, pottery, Cypriot folk costumes and material hand-woven on the loom.
ALL YEAR ROUND
Tuesday-Friday: 09:30-16:00 / Saturday: 09:00-13.00
Entrance fees: 2,00 (1,00 for students)[More...]
Kolossi castle is a fine example of military architecture. It was originally built in the 13th century and rebuilt in its present form in the 15th century.
After the fall of Acre in 1291 it served as the Grand Commandery of the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem and in the 14th century came under the domain of the Knights Templar. During their stay in Cyprus, the Knights produced and exported a sweet wine, which became known as the “vin de Commanderie”. Today Commandaria wine is one of Cyprus’ traditional wines and one of the oldest named wines[More...]
The Lemesos (Limassol) District Museum was founded in 1948 and was initially housed in a section of the Lemesos Castle. During the conflicts of 1964 it remained closed as it was handed over to the National Guard. Construction activities for the new modern Museum began in 1972. The new exhibition was organised in March 1975, under extremely difficult circumstances related to the recent Turkish invasion of the island.
The Museum houses antiquities that cover the development of civilisation on the island from the 9th millennium to the end of the Roman period. The finds are the result of systematic and rescue[More...]
The Medieval Castle of Lemesos, situated near the old harbour in the heart of the historical centre of the city of Lemesos, houses the Medieval Collection of the Cyprus Museum. Although there existed earlier architectural phases of an older and larger structure, the present edifice dates to the period of Ottoman rule. Archaeological investigation within the castle revealed that it was built over an Early Christian basilica (4th-7th century A.D.) and a Middle Byzantine monument (10th-11th century A.D.). Other finds beneath the Castle witness the existence of an important church, possibly the city’s first cathedral. According to Etienne Lusignan, the[More...]
Originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbour, the fort was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, but then dismantled by the Venetians. It was rebuilt by the Ottomans in the 16th century when they conquered the island.
Daily: 08:30-17:00 (16/9-15/4)
Daily : 08:30-19:30 (16/4-15/9)
Entrance fees: 2.50[More...]
The first archaeological Museum of Lefkosia was housed in a building on Victoria St. in old Lefkosia, in the occupied part of the town. It was founded in 1888 as a privately run institution to protect the finds that started to come to light during the first legal excavations undertaken during the British rule of the island.
The first law concerning archaeology was voted in 1905 and was the first essential step towards the establishment of archaeology in Cyprus. A committee, chaired by the British governor, undertook the direction of the museum. The continuously growing number of finds from systematic excavations[More...]
The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl, and stands in front of the iconostasis. The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons, consecrated vessels, manuscripts and Cypriot antiquities. The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III served as a novice here. At his wish, he was buried at Throni, a scenic location 3km[More...]
The ancient town of Palaipafos is located within the limits of the modern village of Kouklia, situated close to the mouth of Diarizos river, 16 kilometres east of the modern town of Pafos. The site of Palaipafos and its surrounding area are linked to an ancient cult associated with the “Great Goddess”, the goddess of fertility, who was worshiped in Cyprus since the Neolithic period. The Myceneans, who settled on the island at the beginning of the 12th century, adopted the local goddess of fertility and erected a sanctuary in her honour. According to tradition, Kinyras, the local legendary king,[More...]